- In the Shade of the Conformist - in this visual essay, renowned Italian film critic and historian Adriano Apra takes a look at Bernardo Bertolucci's work with Pier Paolo Pasolini on La Commare Secca (Bertolucci's directorial debut) and discusses its poetic qualities and visual style; Before the Revolution, which was inspired by the French Nouvelle Vague; Agony, a segment from the anthology film Love and Anger; the politically charged Partner, with Pierre Clémenti, which was filmed during the '68 student riots; and The Spider's Stratagem. Adriano Apra also discusses The Conformist and its unusual color scheme, the camera movement, the lensing, etc. Also included in the essay are clips from an interview with the Italian director in which he explains how The Conformist came to exist, and discusses its production history, its script and Alberto Moravia's novel, the casting process, the key conflicts in the film, etc. The interview was conducted in Rome on June 1, 2011. In Italian, with optional English subtitles. (58 min, 480/60i).
- Trailers -
- 1. 1970 U.S. theatrical trailer for The Conformist. In English, not subtitled. (3 min, 1080p).
- 2. New, 2014 U.S. theatrical re-release trailer for The Conformist. Music only. (2 min, 1080p).
- Booklet - 28-page illustrated booklet featuring:
- 1. Introduction by Emiliano Morreale (Il Conformista)/Adriano Apra (Bernardo Bertolucci, Il cinema e i film).
- 2. Bertolucci Says (interview on French TV/Le Journal du Cinema).
- 3. Extracts from published reviews and writings on the work of Bernardo Bertolucci: Giovanni Raboni (Avvenire); Pietro Bianchi (Il Giorno); Leo Pestelli (La Stampa); Callisto Cosulich (ABC); Michel Mardore (Le Nouvel Observateur); Henry Chapier (Combat); Gilles Jacob (L'Express); Alexandre Astruc (Paris-Match); Pauline Kael (The New Yorker); David N. Meyer (The Brooklyn Rail).
- 4. The Collaborators - a collection of interviews which appear in the following order:
- a) Ferdinando Scarfiotti, interview by Gabriele Lucci, in Cineasti e scenografi del cinema italiano, L'Aqula, La Lanterna Magica, 1990.
- b) Vittorio Storaro, Shadows of Psyche, interview by John Bailey and Stephen Pizzetto, American Cinematographer, February 2001.
- c) Stefania Sandrelli, Bertolucci, che amore di regista!, interview by Angelo De Robertis, "Oggi", Spring, 1976.
- d) Jean-Louis Trintignant, interview on French TV, "Le Journal du Cinema", ORTF, February 26, 1971.
- e) Dominique Sanda, Petit texte sur Bernardo Bertolucci, "La Cinematheque Francaise", n. 27, November 1987.
- f) Gabriella Cristiani, interview by Stefano Masi, Nel buio della moviola. Introduzione alla storia del montaggio, L'Auila, La Lanterna Magica, 1986.
- 5. Bernardo Bertolucci biography.
- 6. Technical credits.